Sunday, January 02, 2011

Corn Chowder

I've had this recipe sitting in my in box for TWO YEARS!!! before I tried it and it's so super easy and so yummy, I'm kicking myself for not trying this sooner.

Corn Chowder
1 potato, peeled & diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp unbleached flour
2 c. fresh or frozen corn
3 c. lowfat milk
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1) in a large pot over medium heat, saute the potato, onion and green pepper in the butter until the onion is soft, about 6-8 mins.

2) add the flour and mix well. then add the corn, milk, salt, and black pepper, stirring thoroughly.

3. turn the heat to low and simmer for about 20 mins, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender and thechowder has thickened (do not let it boil). spoon the chowder into the blender and puree into a thick mixture. (do this in batches, according to how much hot liquid is recommended for your blender. But I use a stick blender anyway).

I substitute 1 cup of heavy cream for 1 cup of milk and do a mix of butter and oil for the sautee.

1 comment:

Batya said...

kcc